Synopsis of the Probus Computer Group meeting, Jan 23, 2020.
Texture to News+ Texture
- Doing reasonably well in the Apple ecosystem.
- No longer available for Windows and Android - pity.
- Bill believes that Apple will eventualy fix this gap. (no timeline).
Apps Worth a Look
Weathermate - iOS only iPhones and iPads -Free
- All weather apps get the same info from Enviornment Canada
- Some make better use
- Some offer more features - Alerts, pictures, histories etc.
- Available for Mac and Windows
- Very fast
- Lots of bells an whistles if you want
- Open Source - Free
- Mac only
- Fully caompatible with latest Operating system “Catalina”
- Allows you to perform directory synchronization jobs much more quickly and conveniently than if you were just using the Windows Explorer.
- Free from Microsoft
- Free email program for Mac and Windows
- WeTransfer File Transfer Now Available in Thunderbird
- Take a look - some of these features are up your alley!
- Is it your internet connection or Computer that is slowing down?
- This test gives you the numbers to help decide.
Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft
- It won’t just stop working, but it will leave you more vulnerable to virus and malware attacks.
- Moving to a newer machine has costs but will be worth it in the long run.
- Make sure to have your Software licences to allow you to reinstall in new machine
- If you have pirated copies, well then, you are a pirate!
- See Synctoy for suggestions on how to proceed.
- Make sure to have complete backups available.
5G is coming, but it may take a while to hit Collingwood.
- Too soon to upgrade your smartphone.
- Amazing speeds and new applications will be interesting.
- Good article:>
- If you are having trouble with connections between computer and printers, you may call your ISP (Bell / Rogers) and ask them about BandSteering. They may be able to fix your issues.
- This is where some eyes glazed over!
- Markdown is a lightweight markup language with plain text formatting syntax.
- Markdown is often used to format readme files, for writing messages in online discussion forums, and to create rich text using a plain text editor. It is used in a majority of Blogs.
- There are tons of Apps to use Markdown.
- Use DuckDuckGo or Google to search for “Markdown”.
- For a bare bones writing app, this is it.
- Small learning curve = really handy.
- This Blog is written in Markdown and pasted into my email program.